Flu Vaccine Campaign
Our adult vaccine clinics will be starting from Wednesday 4th Oct’23. There will be dedicated clinics running on Wednesdays each week during October and November (depending on demand). Patients who fall under the criteria below for the vaccines should contact the surgery to book in.
Childrens Flu clinics will run on Thursday afternoons (by appt 2pm to 4pm) starting from Thursday 19th Oct. Please complete the consent form and drop it into us prior to your appointment.
Copies are available from our front desk or you can print it directly from this website, attached below.
Adult Influenza Vaccine – Patients should fall under the following HSE’s criteria in order to receive the free flu vaccine.
The HSE recommended influenza vaccine for:
· People aged 65 years or older. All pregnant women at any stage of pregnancy.
· Those aged 13 to 64 years who are at increased risk of Influenza- related complications:
o Chronic illness, e.g. chronic heart disease (including acute coronary syndrome), chronic liver disease, chronic neurological disease (where the neurological condition compromises clearance of respiratory secretions), chronic renal failure, chronic respiratory disease (including chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, cystic fibrosis, moderate or severe asthma, and bronchopulmonary dysplasia), diabetes mellitus, or haemoglobinopathies
o Immunosuppression due to disease or treatment, including asplenia or hyposplenism, and all cancer patients
o Compromised respiratory function (e.g. spinal cord injury, seizure disorder, or other neuromuscular disorder,) especially those attending special schools/ day centres
o Adults with Down syndrome
o Moderate to severe neurodevelopmental disorders such as cerebral palsy and intellectual disability
o On long term aspirin therapy
o Those with morbid obesity (Body mass index >40)
· Healthcare workers
· Household contacts of people with any of the complications listed above
· Out-of-home care givers for people who have an underlying chronic health condition or have Down syndrome. A carer is someone who provides ongoing significant level of care to a person who is in need of care in the home due to illness or disability or frailty.
· People in regular contact with pigs, poultry or waterfowl
Any patient outside of the criteria above will have to receive one of the private flu vaccines.
The fee for a private flu vaccine is €30.00, this includes and cost of purchasing the vaccine and administering of same.
Criteria for the booster vaccine;
· Any patient aged 50 years and older
· Any patient aged 18-49 with a medical condition associated with Covid-19
· Any patient aged 18-49 with immunocompromised medical conditions
· Pregnant ladies
· Healthcare workers
Flu Vaccine for children -Clinics
· The Nasal Flu Vaccine is recommended by the HSE to all Children aged 2-12 years. (QIV should be given if LAIV is contraindicated)
· Children aged 13-17 years at high risk from flu are also recommended to have the injection Flu vaccine.
See list of recommendations above under the adult flu.